“It’s not easy being green…” Sorry Kermit, but I’m out to prove you wrong. I’m making an effort to change my habits to be more planet-friendly. It’s been a process, one that began several years ago and seems to have grown exponentially in the past few months. Inspired by a blog I saw called “365 Green,” in which the author records one green change she makes each day, I’m trying “Fifty-two Green.” I hereby resolve to make one green change each week – either for my body or for the planet. I’ll start with a list of green things I already do. You won’t find these in future weeks’ reports – no fair unless it’s an actual change!
- Bring my own cloth bags to the commissary
- Use environmentally-friendly (Seventh Generation) dish washing detergent and household cleaner
- Buy organic dairy products (& various others)
- Use energy-efficient washing machine & dryer; run full loads only
- Buy items with smaller/recyclable packaging
- Recycle all plastic, metal, glass, and paper products
- Turn off air conditioning whenever possible & open windows
- Use organic shampoo, conditioner, & body wash
- Use compact fluorescent bulbs in all fixtures
These are good starts, but I could do a lot more. I’ll post my new week’s resolution every Saturday. Oh, and it’s list I’m adding to – when I make a change, it’s not just for a week. The changes are here to stay. Please feel free to leave comments with ideas for what I can do each week!